- Network must be Layer 3 compliant and must be a Gigabit network.
- RAVENNA network should not be mixed with other network types, use a dedicated network for your RAVENNA streams.
- Merging recommends that controller such as Tango or Eucon are set on a separate network and configured using a fixed IP Address .
- For better performances we recommend that under ANEMAN / Easy Connect you enable only the necessary connections, as every extra RAVENNA connection will use some bandwidth (Core or Network).
- Non-certified MassCore RAVENNA configurations might not capable of sustaining 384 I/O @ 1FS (44.1/48 kHz).
If you experience noise similar to static reduce the RAVENNA I/O count enabled in the ASIO / Merging Audio Device (Windows) or CoreAudio (Mac) panel.
Otherwise verify our recommended platforms and consult the Pyramix Installation Guide and the Merging Ravenna Network Guide.
- Merging recommends that RAVENNA users to properly configure or disable their Windows Public Firewall, as it can partially block some of the RAVENNA I/O connections.
- Merging recommends that RAVENNA users to properly configure or disable their Anti-Virus, as it can partially block some of the RAVENNA I/O connections.
- RAVENNA users must disable their Windows UAC, as it can partially block some of the RAVENNA I/O connections and control panel access.
- Peaks might show up under Pyramix Core section if you power OFF or disconnect the Horus.
- Changing network address or disconnecting Ethernet ports on your system will stop the RAVENNA network.
- Don’t connect a 100MB Ethernet device if the switch is not multicast; otherwise the flow control will reduce drastically the bandwidth.
- Horus and Hapi have no DHCP-server capability neither does the Merging PCIe Ethernet Controller Card NET-MSC-GBEX1.
By default the Horus/Hapi IP setting is set to “Auto” configuration mode which gives an address in the range 169.254.xxx.xxx if no DHCP server is present on the network. Users are free to put a DHCP server in their RAVENNA network with a customized address range and the Horus would get an IP address from this server. Note that our recommended Dell PowerConnect 2816 RAVENNA switch is configured with DHCP disabled.
Merging recommend the Horus/Hapi to be configured in “Auto” mode and the Merging PCIe Ethernet Controller Card NET-MSC-GBEX1 to also be configured with “Internet Protocol Version 4” with “Obtain an IP automatically”. You must be aware that when the Horus/Hapi are started in Maintenance mode the IP configuration is exclusively done using “Auto” IP settings mode.
- (Pyramix 8 and 9) When configuring the VS3 Control Panel it will not be possible to choose a mode where both Mykerinos and RAVENNA will function at the same time. User must either work in MassCore Mykerinos or MassCore/RAVENNA or Native.
Network card recommendations
Separate Network card is recommended for better RAVENNA ASIO performance.
Merging recommends Intel Gigabit network adapters.
In Windows Control Panel > Device Manager, locate the network adapters, select your card and access its Properties.
It is important to disable any power management feature.
Green Ethernet / Energy efficient Ethernet must be disabled.
It is usually in a Power Management tab, but it can depend on the NIC manufacturer - model :
- Reduce link Speed during standby must be disabled (especially when using a switch on the RAVENNA network)
- Wake on LAN should be disabled also for dedicated RAVENNA network cards (not mandatory)
Additional Notes :
- Jumbo packet is not supported.
- Interrupt Moderation : can sometimes help to reduce sinks jitter when disabled (default is enabled)
- Receive Side Scaling must be enabled (Default value).
- Receive Side Scaling Queues must be set to 1 (Default value) (very poor performances with 2 queues)
- Performance options : should be left to default values : Adaptive Inter-Frame Spacing Disabled / Flow Control : RX & TX / Interrupt Moderation rate : Adaptive (will have no effect if Interrupt Moderation is disabled) / Receive Buffers : 256 / Transmit Buffers : 512.