If this message appears at login, it indicates that there probably is a problem with your MassCore PCIe Ethernet NIC card. The card might show a 'Code 31 error" in the Windows Device Manager.
MassCore must be installed to have a working Merging NIC, if MassCore is not installed it will not work.
1. Open the Windows Services and stop the service named "Merging Technologies MassCore NIC".
2. Go to Windows Control Panel > Device Manager.
3. Right click on the Merging Technologies PCIe 82574L Ethernet Controller and select Uninstall device.
4. Now go in the Actions menu and choose "Scan for hardware changes". The Merging NIC card will reappear as "Intel(R) 82574L Gigabit Network Connection".
5. Right click on it and select Update driver.
6. Click Browse my computer for driver software > Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer > Have Disk... > Browse > C:\Program Files\Common Files\Merging Technologies\VS3\Drivers\MassCoreNIC\MassCoreNIC.inf > Open > OK > Next > Close.
After this operation the Merging NIC should appear without the ! sign in the device manager, reboot your computer.